"Wear what makes you feel beautiful and comfortable."
“Be chic even when you’re pregnant and flaunt your bump of joy in style.”
One way to do it is to take your shopping bag and de-stress by picking up clothes that look good on you. Don’t forget to accessorize! You can be really a Fashionista mama if you decide to and set trends in your social circle.
Your climate and lifestyle will largely determine your maternity clothing needs, but the following pieces are essential.
- A twin set: You feel warmer during pregnancy; so layering is the key. Choose a sleeveless shell and a long-sleeved cardigan so you can peel off a layer while looking pulled together and chic.
- A wrap sweater: This is a tunic-length knit-top wrap-around with an adjustable tie that you can fasten tighter early in pregnancy and loosen as your belly grows.
- A classic T-shirt: From shorts to skirts, a classic tee goes with everything. Choose the style you prefer (i.e., crew or V-neck).
- A knit tunic top: While fitted across the shoulders and arms, a tunic provides plenty of room where women need it — across the middle.
- Black stretch pants: They go with everything and can be worn from your first week of pregnancy through your postpartum months.
- A slim-fitting skirt: These are more flattering than a full skirt. The length you choose will depend on your height: If you're shorter, opt for a knee-length hemline. If you're taller, experiment with a little more length — try a mid-calf line.
- A men's-style button-down shirt: Borrow one of your husband's for a casual look, or choose a tailored maternity style (narrow through the top and shoulders with plenty of room for your growing belly) for a more polished feel.
- A black dress: Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean this timeless and classic fashion staple is off-limits.
- Comfy undergarments: You'll need a couple of new bras to accommodate your larger-than-usual breasts. It's important that your breasts get the support they need and that you're comfortable. As for underwear; loose is the key.
- Cute and comfy kicks (footwear): There’s a wealth of good-looking flats out there, from classic ballet flats, loafers, and sneakers to trendier slip-ons and espadrilles.
- Leggings: Chances are you have a favorite pair of leggings now. You can feel the same while you’re pregnant.
- Every day maternity jeans: Invest in one or two quality pairs of maternity jeans, relying on styles that will work with most tops in your wardrobe.
- Blouses: Blouses with tie up at front or with smocked bottom form a trendy wear.