About 40% of the time, male infertility is the reason behind the inability to conceive a child. Infertility refers to the condition where a couple is not able to conceive after 12 months or more of regular, unprotected sexual intercourse. Male infertility is commonly due to deficiencies in the semen, its quality and obstruction of passages that convey semen.
Causes of Infertility in Men & Risk Factors
Smoking: Smoking increases the risk of infertility in both males and females. Smoking decreases the effect of medicines that one might use for infertility treatment.
Alcohol: also contributes to infertility.
Obesity: An overweight man has a higher risk of having abnormal sperm.
Hydrocele or Varicocoele
Sexually Transmitted Diseases: It is a widely known fact that sexually transmitted diseases can have a considerable effect on the sexual health of an individual. Infections such as Chlamydia can damage the fallopian tubes and can cause inflammation in the man's scrotum.
Stress: Stress is supposed to be one of the biggest reasons for infertility in men and affects the sperm count. Again, if one of the partners is mentally stressed, the chances of sexual intercourse decrease, leading to gradual decrease in the probability of conception.
In addition to the above-mentioned causes and risk factors, exposure to certain chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, metals and solvents can lead to infertility in men.
Male Infertility Treatment in India
Diagnosis of male infertility
- Clinical infertility
- Detailed semen analysis
- Hormonal assays
- Scrotal and transrectal ultrasound to detect problems and obstruction in the testes and male genitalia
- Post ejaculation urine analysis to detect whether sperm are travelling backwards into the urinary bladder
- Sperm DNA fragmentation test is done to assess any problems in the genetic material of the sperm
- Testicular biopsy to check for any obstruction, functional or anatomical defects of the testes
Treatment of male infertility
- Surgical sperm retrieval
- Surgical management of male sub fertility: varicocoelectomy, repair of obstructed vas deference
- Treatment for problems of intercourse
At Columbia Asia Hospital, India, we offer a wide range of treatments for male infertility. We have our branches across all major cities in India. To book an appointment with us, you can contact our helpdesk.
Tags: Causes of Infertility , What is Infertility , infertility treatment , Chlamydia , Fallopian Tube , Semen Analysis , Blood Test