Nephrotic syndrome is a disease which is caused by increased permeability of the capillary walls of the glomerulous, which is the basic unit of the kidney that helps filter out the waste products. When damaged, the quantity of protein filtered out of the kidneys is high. This leads to high protein levels in the urine and low protein levels in the body, which in turn leads to fluid accumulation.
Nephrotic syndrome can affect people of all ages but they found slightly more often in males when compared to females. Urine normally does not contain any protein. When the filters in the kidneys become "leaky", protein contained in the blood leaks out in the urine.
Features of Nephrotic Syndrome
- Presence of protein in the urine. This causes a drop of protein level in the bloodstream. The protein that leaks from the blood to the urine is called albumin. Low blood level of albumin is one of the main features of nephrotic syndrome.
- The level of cholesterol and other fat lipids increase considerably in the blood.
Symptoms and signs of Nephrotic Syndrome
- Puffiness of the eyes, swelling of the feet and ankle
- Discoloration and foamy, frothy urine.
- The body might gain considerable amount of weight due to excessive fluid in the pleural cavity covering the lung Pleural effusion) and peritoneal cavity (ascites). There is generalized edema throughout the body called anasarca
- In rare cases there may be hypertension
- Iron resistant anemia due to transferrin loss
- Hyper-coagulability of blood
Risk Factors & Complications of Nephrotic Syndrome
Diabetic nephropathy, Systemic lupus erythematosus, Sarcoidosis, Syphillis, Hepatitis B, HIV, Amyloidosis
- You might experience blood clots stimulated by the loss of proteins. Proteins prevent clotting of blood and the absence leads to conditions where blood clots occur in the veins.
- High blood cholesterol is a common complication. When albumin falls in the blood, the liver is forced to make more. While doing so, the liver releases more triglycerides and cholesterol.
- High blood pressure is yet another common complication seen in patients suffering from nephrotic syndrome. When the glomeruli get damaged, there is a build-up of waste in the blood that leads to high blood pressure.
- Acute kidney failure and chronic kidney failure occur due to nephrotic syndrome. In such cases, the organ looses the ability to filter blood. For such patients often need dialysis and kidney transplant
We recommend you to consult the best doctors for such conditions. You can call us at our helpdesk at Columbia Asia Hospital, India to fix an appointment with our doctors and surgeons for nephrotis treatment.
Tags: Nephrotic Syndrome , Nephritic Syndrome , Urinary Tract Infection , Kidney Failure , Kidney Problems , Nephritis Treatment