Premature birth is when a baby is born before 37 weeks of pregnancy.. Premature babies tend to have more complications and health risks as compared to babies born at term and parents should educate themselves for baby care tips. Being born too early can cause short-term and long-term health problems in infants. “Late pre-term” babies born between 35 to 37 weeks, may not require ICU monitoring for long but they still are at risk for the problems of prematurity.
Due to the health risks and concerns in premature babies, they are given newborn baby care and medical attention immediately after their birth. Depending on how early the baby arrives; a neonatologist is called in to determine if the infant needs any special treatment. In addition to medical assistance, parents should seek newborn baby care tips to take care of their newborn baby.
A premature infant usually has difficulty breathing and may not be able to maintain body temperature, leading to hypothermia.
Premature babies may have following issues:
- Bleeding into the brain or damage to the white matter in the brain
- Hypoglycemia- low blood sugar
- Neonatal respiratory distress syndrome
- Neonatal jaundice
- Problems due to immature lungs, pneumonia or patent ductus Arteriosis
- Intestinal inflammation (necrotizing enterocolitis)
- Problem with feeding or suckling or co-ordinating swallowing and breathing
Premature Baby Health Issues & Baby Care Tips
There can be various short-term and long-term problems in newborn babies. A few of them are listed as follows:
- Initial Breathing problems: A premature baby may have respiratory distress due to the immature lungs. The lack of oxygen, as a result, can affect other organs which are immature too. This condition affects infants before 35 weeks. Infants born between 23 to 32 weeks might develop a lung disease known as bronchopulmonary dysplasia and breathing conditions known as apnea. A tube may be placed in the wind pipe and a ventilator will help baby breathe.
- Hypothermia: premature babies do not have the capacity to maintain body temperature and the ensuing hypothermia can lead to death, if not addressed. Babies are kept in a baby warmer or an incubator, with temperature control.
- Premature babies may not be able to suckle and swallow before 34 weeks of gestation and may need a small, soft tube placed through the nose or mouth into the stomach. Sometimes very premature babies may need to be fed through the veins until they stabilize enough to receive nutrition through the stomach
- Heart Issues: An issue that can be serious in newborn babies is heart disease. The most common condition experienced is ductus arteriosus and low blood pressure. Babies born before 30 weeks have a high risk of developing such diseases.
- Eyesight problems: Infants born before 30 weeks have a high risk of developing eyesight and vision problems. They may develop conditions such as retinopathy of prematurity, a condition where blood vessels swell and overgrow in the light-sensitive layer of nerves behind the eye. Premature baby may have various other conditions that can impair vision and cause blindness
- Hearing problems. Premature babies have the risk of developing various hearing problems. It is a must that premature babies have their hearing abilities checked before going home. It is important that a premature newborn baby care is prioritized in such cases.
Various conditions might occur in premature babies. It is important that you educate yourself with premature newborn issues if you are to be a father or a mother soon. You can call us at our helpdesk or contact us through our website to connect to best doctors and consultants. At Columbia Asia Hospital, we have the best facilities to handle premature newborn issues and we can provide you with various newborn baby care tips.
If you are looking for intensive care unit, neonatal nursing or baby care tips, you can call us at our help desk or contact us through our website. At Columbia Asia Hospital, we have an excellent team of consultants, doctors and nurses who can take care of premature newborn issues. We have our branches in various cities of India such as Kolkata, Bangalore, Mysore, Ahmedabad, Gurgaon, Ghaziabad, Patiala and Pune.