Types, Causes & Symptoms of Heart Problems
Heart diseases are one of the leading causes of death for men and women. Heart disease, also known as cardiovascular disease, refers to diseases that affect or involve the heart, the blood vessels (which include the arteries, capillaries and the veins) or both. In short, they affect the cardiovascular or circulatory system of the body. The cardiovascular system enables the movement of oxygenated blood from the heart to different parts of the body through arteries and deoxygenated blood back to the heart through veins.
There are many types of heart diseases in India and it is necessary for every individual to be aware of them. Coronary artery disease, angina and valvular heart diseases are some of the heart diseases that are often seen. There are several ways to recognize heart diseases such as heart attacks and quite a few ways to control or prevent them.
Types of Heart Diseases in India
Heart attack is usually what comes to mind when people think of heart diseases. However, there are a number of diseases that affect the heart or blood vessels of a person. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Coronary Artery Disease – hardening or narrowing of the coronary artery, (which supplies blood to the heart) due to the formation of cholesterol plaque
- Cardiomyopathy – disease of the cardiac muscle due to several reasons
- Angina – chest pain caused due to less blood flow to a part of the heart muscle
- Valvular Heart Disease – disease affecting one or more of the four valves of the heart
- Congenital Heart Disease – heart structure malformation at birth
- Cerebrovascular Disease – disease of the blood vessels that supply blood to the brain
- Rheumatic Heart Disease – damage to the heart muscles and valves due to rheumatic fever
- Heart attack –is permanent damage to the part of the heart muscle to which blood supply was cut off
- Heart failure- is heart’s pumping power has reduced
The above mentioned cardiovascular diseases are only some of the several heart diseases that affect men and women alike. These can be recognized by keenly observing the common symptoms of heart diseases.
Symptoms of Heart Diseases
Be it coronary artery disease, heart attack or valvular heart disease – each of these heart diseases have more or less the same symptoms. They are:
- Heaviness, pressure, discomfort or squeezing pain in the chest
- Recurring pain in the upper body such as the arms, jaw, neck, back or upper stomach
- Fatigue and weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid increase in pulse (or irregular pulse)
- Dizziness, sweating and nausea
- Aching, burning, fullness
If these symptoms of heart diseases persist and do not go away even after rest or placing nitro-glycerine under the tongue, immediately consult a doctor.
Causes of Heart Diseases
Only understanding the symptoms of heart problems is not enough. In order to prevent heart diseases, controlling the various factors that cause heart problems will be essential. The different factors that cause heart diseases are:
- Lack of sleep
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- No or limited physical activity
- Unhealthy eating habits
- Overconsumption of alcohol
- Depression and mental stress
Uncontrollable causes of heart diseases include:
- Increasing age
- Family history of heart diseases
In order to lead a healthy lifestyle and prevent cardiovascular diseases (like heart attacks) – it is important to remain physically active, avoid smoking and keep a check on high cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
Tags: Heart Diseases in India , Heart Problems , Types , Causes , Symptoms , Cardiovascular Disease , Blood Vessels , Arteries , Capillaries , Veins , Circulatory , Coronary Artery , Angina , Valvular , Cerebrovascular , Heart Attacks , Plaque , Cardiomyopathy , Congenital , Rheumatic , Atherosclerosis , Renal , Blood Pressure , Cholesterol , Diabetes