Emergency medicine is a specialty that is concerned with the initial assessment, stabilization, diagnosis and treatment of individuals with acute illness and injury. It also offers management of trauma and resuscitation, advanced cardiac life support and airway management, poisoning, overdose, out-of-hospital care and disaster casualties. It also involves the technical and cognitive aspects of practically all fields of medicine and surgery including the surgical sub-specialties.
Specialties of Emergency Care Doctors
Doctors in emergency medicine need to have skills in assessment, stabilization of patients, resuscitation and some procedures like:
- Advanced management of airway
- Suture a complex laceration
- Reduce a fractured bone or dislocated joint
- Treat a heart attack
- Deliver a baby
- Stop a severe nosebleed
- Drug overdose management
- Suicide attempts management
What is Emergency Room?
An emergency room or emergency department is a medical treatment facility that specializes in acute medical care of patients. These patients are treated in an emergency room without an appointment. The patients get to emergency rooms by themselves or by ambulance. Since the patient’s management in emergency rooms is unplanned, the department must provide initial medical treatment for a broad spectrum of illnesses and injuries. Some of these can be life threatening and require urgent attention.
When to Contact Emergency Room?
Immediately contact the emergency department in case of following emergency:
- Difficulty in or stopped breathing
- Severe chest pain or pressure
- Sudden headache that is unusual or severe
- Not able to speak, see, walk or move suddenly
- Inhaled smoke or poisonous fumes
- Excessive bleeding
- Possible fracture especially if the bone is pushing through the skin
- Deep wound and severe burns
- Coughing or throwing up blood
- Allergic reaction that causes swelling, breathing difficulty and hives
- High fever that doesn't go away or is associated with headache and stiff neck
- Vomiting and loose stools that doesn't stop
- Overdose of drug and alcohol
- Feeling suicidal or attempted suicide
At Columbia Asia Hospital, our emergency department and emergency room is equipped with all the necessary facilities to administer the appropriate emergency medical care. We have emergency rooms available at our hospitals in Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Ghaziabad, Kolkata, Mysore, Gurgaon, Patiala and Pune. The department has doctors who handle emergencies round the clock as our emergency rooms operate 24-hours a day. The resuscitation room has all the necessary equipment’s to stabilize patients and also perform minor procedures in the emergency room. Those cases that cannot be handled at the emergency rooms are immediately stabilized and then transferred to specialized doctors.
Tags: Emergency Medicine , Emergency Care , Room , In India , Urgent Care , Emergency Department , Columbia Asia , Management , Stabilization , Diagnosis , Acute Illness , Injuries , Trauma , Cardiac , Life Support , Surgery , Doctors , Specialties , Anesthesia , Orthopedic , Obstetrics , Gynecology , ENT , Toxicology , Psychiatry , Rheumatology , Pediatrics , Cardiothoracic , Excessive Bleeding , Ambulance , Bangalore , Ahmedabad , Ghaziabad , Kolkata , Mysore , Gurgaon , Patiala , Pune , 24-hours