Pune - Anesthesiology
The Department of Anaesthesia at Columbia Asia Hospital – Pune provides anaesthesia services to all surgical specialities like general surgery, paediatric surgery including neonates, vascular and endovascular, minimally invasive endourology and laser urology, orthopaedics including trauma and joint replacements, caesareans and gynaecology cases etc.
Pre-anaesthesia check- up prior to any surgery is mandatory in order to decide on which modality of anaesthesia is suitable for each patient. The department has skilled and experienced anaesthesiologists who are also qualified in pain medicine including labour analgesia.
Pain management is a subspecialty of anesthesiology, using an interdisciplinary approach to ease the suffering and improve the quality of life of those living with pain. At Columbia Asia Hospital - Pune the pain management team includes the pain consultant /anesthesiologist, primary consultant of the patient, psychiatrists, neurologists, physiotherapists and occupational therapists. Pain sometimes resolves promptly once the underlying trauma or pathology has healed and is treated with drugs such as analgesics and (occasionally) anxiolytics. Effective management of long term pain, however, frequently requires the coordinated efforts of the multi-disciplinary team.
Treatments and Procedures
- Pre –operative check up
- Post -operative recovery
- Chronic pain management
- Palliative pain control as part of end of life care
- Labour analgesia including epidural anaesthesia
Methods of pain management
- Pharmacologic measures, such as analgesics, tricyclic antidepressants and anticonvulsants
- Interventional procedures like epidural injections, facet joint injections, blocks, intrathecal drug
- Physiotherapy and exercise, application of ice and/or heat, Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Psychological measures, such as biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy