Mysore - Doctors
Dr. P.M Uthappa
MBBS, MRCP, CCT (Renal Medicine & General Medicine), FRCP, FASN
Head - Department of Nephrology
Dr. P M Uthappa is a highly qualified and experienced doctor who heads the Department of Nephrology, Columbia Asia Hospital, Mysore. After completing his MBBS from Government Medical College Bellary, India; After a period of training posts in Scotland, he obtained his MRCP from Royal college of Physicians, Edinburgh, Scotland in 2000. He then underwent Specialist Training in Nephrology and General Internal Medicine from West Midlands, Birmingham, and completed his CCT in Nephrology and General Medicine in 2008. He also obtained Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) from London in 2012 and Fellowship of the American Society of Nephrology (FASN) in 2016.
He has more than 16 years of experience in Kidney Medicine. He has worked as Consultant Nephrologist at Sheffield Kidney Institute in England and as Consultant Nephrologist at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust in Salford, England; before joining Columbia Asia Hospital in Mysore. He specializes and has significant experience in various modalities of Kidney Medicine like Haemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis, and Transplantation. He is proficient in placing temporary, semi-permanent (tunneled catheters) for dialysis, insertion of percutaneous peritoneal dialysis catheter and kidney biopsies (native and transplant), all real time, under ultrasound guidance.
He has significant experience in Medical Education and he was an Honorary Lecturer at the University of Manchester. He has been the lead for undergraduate medical education in the Department of Nephrology and Specialty tutor for all the Nephrology trainees during his tenure as a consultant in the UK.
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Dialysis-Haemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis
- Renal Transplant
- Kidney diseases requiring plasma exchange
- Resistant Hypertension
- Acid-Base and Electrolyte Disorders
- Kidney diseases in pregnancy and the elderly
- Primary and Secondary Glomerulonephritides-Nephritic and Nephrotic
- Medical management of kidney stones, complicated urinary tract infections
- Vasculitis and Lupus Nephritis
Total Experience: Over 16 Years
- Consultant in Renal Medicine at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Salford, England(2008-2016)
- Consultant in Renal Medicine at Sheffield Kidney Institute, England(2008)
- Nephrology training posts at University Hospital Birmingham(Queen Elizabeth Hospital), University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust and Royal Wolverhampton Hospital NHS Trust, England(2002-2017)
- Junior Doctor training posts in General Internal Medicine at Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy, Scotland