Kolkata - Pediatric Surgery
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at Columbia Asia Hospital – Salt Lake, Kolkata is committed to providing surgical care, ranging from minor to life threatening problems. The focus is on evidence based comprehensive healthcare for all neonates and children requiring elective or emergency surgery.
The department has performed a significant number of Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery for children with empyema. The surgeon is available round the clock to provide emergency services like foreign body removal and trauma care.
Minimal invasive surgery that includes laparoscopic, thoracoscopic, endoscopic procedures such as bronchoscopy and esophagoscopy. Presence of a neonatal and intensive care unit (NICU and ICU) enables the surgeons to take care of children with complex surgical problems. In such situations the care plan is done in consultation with the paediatricians. Most of the routine surgeries are done as day care procedures
Treatments and Procedures
- 24-hour emergency services for children
- Major reconstructive genitourinary surgery for newborn and children
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Pediatric surgical oncology services
- Prenatal counselling and advice for expectant parents.
- Pediatric trauma services
- Pediatric anesthesia
- Minor procedures done under procedural sedation in the emergency room
- Surgery for congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH)
- Surgery for necrotising enterocolitis, mal-rotation and volvulus
- Surgical and non-surgical treatment of intussusception
- Neurological surgeries for spina bifida and hydrocephalus
- Hepatobiliary surgeries for liver tumours, biliary atresia and choledochal cyst
- Endocrine surgeries for adrenal tumours, pheochromocytoma, thyroid and parathyroid problems