Neonatal nursing provides a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary approach to the care of neonates. It is committed to provide safe, compassionate, quality care to neonates. From at-risk infants to critically ill neonates neonatal nursing provides intensive care for mothers, expectant mothers and infants. The module was designed and developed in response to a specific educational need, as the majority of registered nurses working within the neonatal field did not possess a specific qualification, yet they were continually placed in clinical situations where patients require specialist care by highly skilled and competent staff. Nurses undertaking such a module would be able to extend their existing knowledge and skills and would be expected to become knowledgeable nurses within this dynamic and evolving specialty.
- Assessment of Sick Child.
- Monitoring of sick neonate.
- Care of infant on ventilator.
- Asepsis in NICU
- ABG Analysis
- Handling of lines, tubes & infusions
- Feeding the infant
- Drug doses & preparations, Prep. of IV Fluids
- Handling of monitoring equipment
- Neonatal Resuscitation
- Intubation of new-born
- LBW Management
- Developmental supportive care
- Thermal protection
- Lactation education & KMC
- Explain a range of common neonatal conditions across the neonatal period.
- Examine evidence based care of neonatal patients and their families.
- Articulate the assessment, diagnosis and collaborative management of neonatal conditions.
- Illustrate knowledge and understanding of medication management of neonatal conditions.
- Provide evidence of reflective practice, problem solving and critical thinking in critical situations.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills in neonatal nursing.
- Explain and educate mothers and family regarding lactation and care of newborn.
- 5 days
- 40 hours of theory session
- 40 hours of practical training
Teaching and Learning Strategy:
- Workbooks (Time allocated to complete two workbooks = 6 hours)
- Private Reading time, Assignment work, preparing assignments = 10 hours
Course location: Columbia Asia Hospitals, Bengaluru, Mysore, Pune, Ahmedabad, Patiala, Palam Vihar, Ghaziabad, Kolkata.
Eligibility: GNM, B.Sc. Nursing with minimum 1 year experience.
Course Fees: ₹ 5,000/-